AI inventions are all the rage right now. Everyone wants to get in on this new technology, and they’re doing so by creating new AI applications and products as quickly as possible. But while it may seem like everyone else is getting rich off of AI, you might not be reaping any of the benefits—and that’s because you’re not patenting your AI inventions!
If you are one of those people who has been left behind by this trend, rest assured: PatentPC can help.
table of contents
- What is an AI invention?
- Why should I patent my invention?
- How do I patent my AI invention?
- Why It’s a good idea to patent AI inventions.
What is an AI invention?
Although the term AI is often used as a synonym for “machine learning”, there are several other ways in which an invention can be considered to be based on AI.
AI inventions include machines that:
● Learn from data to make decisions or perform tasks (for example, a self-driving car)
● Can act autonomously without human intervention (for example, an unmanned combat aerial vehicle) and/or
● Are able to learn new things from experience (for example, a chatbot).
Why should I patent my invention?
There are many reasons to patent an invention. The most obvious is that it protects your idea, and therefore your investment. If you haven’t patented an AI invention yet but want to, then you should do so as soon as possible.
You can also get a better return on investment by licensing the technology or selling it outright. An investor who likes your idea could even buy out your company and make money from it!
How do I patent my AI invention?
Once you’re confident that your invention is patentable, it’s time to file a patent application. The best way to do this is through the USPTO website and its online EFS-Web system. In order to submit an application, you will need:
● A working prototype of your invention (or at least a detailed description)
● A detailed description of how it works
● Drawings that show what the invention looks like (you can use simple sketches or photos)
How can we help?
● We can help you with all the steps of the patent process, from filing to prosecution.
● We have a team of patent attorneys and patent agents who are experts in this field.
● Our website has a powerful search tool that can help you find relevant patents and check if your idea is novel, non-obvious, and inventive enough for a patent application.
● Our website also has an easy-to-use tool for checking whether your invention is eligible for patent protection based on current laws in different countries around the world. This tool will provide you with feedback on how strong your case is regarding novelty, non-obviousness, and inventiveness so that when you decide to apply for a patent or not (and if so), it’ll be based on solid facts rather than guesswork alone!
Why It’s a good idea to patent AI inventions.
A patent is a right granted to an inventor that allows them to prevent others from making, using, selling or importing their invention for up to 20 years.
If someone were to copy your patented invention without permission, they could be liable for damages. When you file for a patent, it’s not guaranteed that you’ll receive one; however, it greatly increases your chances of doing so because it helps the Patent Office decide whether your invention qualifies as new and non-obvious (which are requirements for getting one).
We hope that this guide has helped you understand why it’s important to patent AI inventions. If you have any questions about patenting your AI invention or would like more information, please don’t hesitate to reach out and get in touch with us through PatentPC!