Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (Suwon-si, KR)
What is a Patent for Method and apparatus to transmit and receive packets in the context of a communications system
Search Patent for Method and apparatus to transmit and receive packets in the context of a communications system
Due to diversification of content as well as an increase in high-capacity content like High Definition (HD) content and Ultra High Definition (UHD) content, communication systems can be subject to increasing data load. This means that content sent by a sender (e.g. hosts A) could not be delivered to a recipient (e.g. a host B) and certain portions of it could be lost in transit.
In general, because data is sent in packets that are lost in the process, loss of content occurs on a per-packet basis. The packet could consist of one block, for example, a payload of data to be transmitted and address information such as an address for source and destination address, as well as management information, for example, a header. Therefore, if there is a loss of a packet within the network, a receiver may not know the data and management information in the lost packet since the lost packet is not received, causing the user discomfort in various types, including quality degradation of audio, quality degrading and image breakage of video, subtitles not being present, file loss, and similar issues.
For these reasons, Application Layer-Forward Error Correction (AL-FEC) is used to restore the data lost that occurred within the network and there is a requirement for a method to set up an FEC packet for AL-FEC and transmit and receive the FECpacket.
The above information is provided as background information to assist with an understanding of the present disclosure. It is not possible to determine and no claim is made, as to whether any of the above could be applicable as prior art with respect to the present disclosure.
The present disclosure’s aspects are to address the problems mentioned above or disadvantages, and provide at least the advantages described below. The present disclosure offers a method and apparatus to configure the Forward Error Correction packet for Application Layer Forward Error Correction operation (AL-FEC) sending and receiving that FEC packet, as well as improving the reliability of the network.
A method is described in detail that encodes a particular packet within a broadcasting system to provide an Internet Protocol (IP-based)-based multimedia service. This is in accordance with an aspect of the disclosure. This method involves dividing the data stream into datapayloads, then generating a Motion Picture Expert Group Media Transport (MMT), packet by adding a first head to each payload. The next step is to generate a source packet is done by adding an MMT header to the MMT package and then performing Forward ErrorCorrection(FEC) encryption of the MMT header-added MMT pack. The MMT header of the packet may contain type information of the MMT packet.
According to another aspect of this disclosure an apparatus is disclosed for encoding packets in broadcasting systems that support an IP-based multimedia system. The apparatus includes a controller that can divide the data stream into payloads, then to generate an MMT-formatted packet by adding a initial header to each of the data payloads and then generate an origin packet by adding an MMT packet header to the MMT package and performing FEC encryption on the header added to the MMT packet. TheMMT packet header may include type information of the MMT packet.
In accordance with further another aspect of the disclosed disclosure, a method of decoding a signal in a broadcasting system supporting an IP-based multimedia service is described. This method involves acquiring an MMT package from a source packet received by a transmitter and later decoding the packet. The source packet could be created by the transmitter designed to split a data stream into data payloads, to create an MMT packet by adding a first header to each datapayload and to create a source packet by adding an MMT packet header to the MMT packet , and performing FEC encoders on the header-added MMT packet. The MMT header of the packet could include details about the type of the MMT packet.
A device is available to decode packets within broadcasting systems that can support an IP-based multimedia service, in accordance with a different aspect. The apparatus comprises the controller that obtains an MMTpacket by acquiring a source packet from a transmitter, and a decoder that is able to decode the MMT packet. The transmitter can generate the source packet. It’s capable of dividing an information stream into payloads and forming an MMTpacket, by adding a header to every payload. Then it creates the source packet by adding an MT packet header the MMT packet and then doing FEC encryption on the header-added MMT pack. The MMT header of the packet can contain details about the type.
The description below will help you to see the other advantages, aspects, and important features of the disclosure. It is supported by the drawings attached.Click here to view the patent on USPTO website.
Get Patents with PatentPC
What is a patent?
The government grants patents to safeguard an invention a patent provides the inventor with exclusive rights to develop, utilize, market and promote the invention?society benefits when a new technology is brought to the market. The benefits can be realized directly as people are able to perform feats previously thought impossible as well as indirectly through the opportunities for economic growth that innovation offers (business growth, employment).
A lot of pharmaceutical companies and researchers at universities seek protection from patents in their research and development. Patents are granted for the creation of a product, process or method of creating new materials. To be granted patent protection an invention has to be useful, new and not apparent to other people in the same field.
Patents recognize and give inventors a reward for commercially profitable inventions. They serve as a motivator for inventors to come up with new ideas. Small-scale businesses and inventors can rest sure that they will earn the most return from the investment they make in technology development through patents. It means that they can earn money from their work.
Patents are a crucial part of companies, and they can:
Secure your products and services.
Improve the visibility and the value of your products ‘ presence on the market
Make your company and products stand out from others;
Access to business and technical knowledge and other information;
Avoid accidentally using third-party content or loosing valuable information, innovative outputs or any other creative output.
Patents transform the knowledge of inventors into a valuable asset that opens new avenues for job creation through licensing and joint ventures.
Small businesses that have patent protection are more attractive to investors involved in the commercialization of technology.
Patenting can lead to innovations and new ideas. These information may be protected by patents.
Patents can be used to stop untrustworthy third parties from making money through the work of inventions.
Commercially successful patent-protected technology revenues could be used to finance the development of technology through research and development (R&D) and boost the likelihood of improved technology in the coming years.
Intellectual property ownership can be used to convince lenders and investors that there are genuine opportunities to commercialize your product. Sometimes, a single patent could open the door to multiple financing opportunities. Patents can be used in conjunction with other IP assets as collateral or security to secure financing. Investors can also see your patent assets to increase company valuation. Forbes and other publications have stated that every patent could boost the value of your company by as much as $500,000 to $1 million.
A well-constructed business plan is essential for startups. It must be built on IP and show how your product/service stands out. Investors will also be impressed if you can show that your IP rights are secure or are in progress of being secure and that they align with your business strategy.
It is vital to protect an invention before applying for patent protection. The public divulging an invention could often damage its novelty and invalidate it. Pre-filing disclosures, such as for investors, test-marketing or any other business partners, should be done only after signing a confidentiality contract.
There are a variety of patents. Understanding these is vital to safeguard your invention. Patents for utility are used to protect new processes and machine creations. Design patents cover ornamental designs. Utility patents are the best because they shield the proprietor from copycats and other competitors. Patents for utility are usually granted to enhance or modify existing inventions. Utility patents can also be used to cover improvements and modifications to existing inventions. A process patent could be a way to describe the actions or methods to perform a particular action. However, a chemical composition could be a combination of ingredients.
What is the length average of a patent? Patents for utility last for 20 years after the earliest filing dates, but their expiration dates may be extended due to delays in the patent office for instance.
Are you thinking of patenting your ideas? Since patents are only granted for applicants who are first to file, you need to file quickly – call a patent attorney at PatentPC to patent your idea today!
When drafting your patent application when you are writing a patent application, it is important to conduct a patent search. it will provide you with some insight into other people’s concepts. This allows you to limit the scope of your invention. Additionally, you’ll be able to discover the latest technology in your field of innovation. You’ll have a better idea of what your idea should be and be more prepared to submit the patent application.
How to Search for Patents
The first step in getting the patent you want is to perform a patent search. You can do a google patent search or do a USPTO search. Patent-pending is the term for the product that has been protected by the patent application. It is possible to search the public pair to locate the patent application. After the patent office approves your application, you will be able to do an online search for a patent number and discover the patent issued. Your product now has the potential to be patentable. You can also use the USPTO search engine. Read on for more details. Patent lawyers or a patent attorney can advise you on the process. In the US, patents are granted through the US patent and trademark office or the United States patent and trademark office, which also reviews trademark applications.
Are you looking for similar patents? Here are the steps to follow:
1. Brainstorm terms that describe your invention based upon its intended purpose, composition and application.
Write down a brief and precise explanation of your invention. Do not use generic terms such as “device,” “process,” and “system.” Instead, consider synonyms to the terms you chose initially. Also, make note of key technical terms and keywords.
Utilize the following questions to help you find the keywords or concepts.
- What is the objective of the invention? Is it a utilitarian device or an ornamental design?
- Is the invention a way of creating something or performing a function? Is it a product or process?
- What is the basis of the invention? What is the physical composition of the invention?
- What is the goal of the invention?
- What are the technical terms and keywords that define the nature of an invention? A technical dictionary will help you identify the correct words.
2. These terms will enable you to look up relevant Cooperative Patent Classifications on the Classification Search Tool. To find the most appropriate classification to your invention, scan the class scheme of the classification (class schedules). If you don’t get any results using the Classification Text Search, you might consider substituting your words to describe your invention using synonyms.
3. Go through 3. Check the CPC Classification Definition for confirmation of the CPC classification you have found. If the classification you have selected includes a blue square with the letter “D” on its left, the link will lead you to a CPC classification’s description. CPC classification definitions will aid you in determining the classification’s scope, so you can choose the most relevant. The definitions could also contain research tips or other suggestions which could prove useful in further investigation.
4. Find patent documents that have the CPC classification from the Patents Full-Text and Image Database. You can look through and select the most relevant patent publications by looking first at abstract and the drawings that are representative.
5. This selection of patent publications is the best to check for similarity to your invention. Pay attention to the claims and specifications. You may find additional patents by consulting the patent examiner and the applicant.
6. Find patent applications published in the public domain using the CPC classification you picked in Step 3 in the Applications Full-Text and Image Database. You may also employ the same search strategy that you employed in step 4 to limit your results to just the most relevant patent applications by reviewing the abstracts and drawings on each page. Then, you must carefully review the patent applications published and pay particular attention to the claims and the additional drawings.
7. You can find other US patent publications using keyword search in AppFT or PatFT databases, and also classification searching for non-U.S. Patents as described below. Additionally, you can make use of search engines on the internet to find non-patent literature disclosures about inventions. Examples:
- Add keywords to your search. Keyword searches may turn up documents that are not well-categorized or have missed classifications during Step 2. For example, US patent examiners often supplement their classification searches with keyword searches. Think about the use of technical engineering terminology rather than everyday words.
- Search for foreign patents using the CPC classification. Then, re-run the search using international patent office search engines such as Espacenet, the European Patent Office’s worldwide patent publication database of over 130 million patent publications. Other national databases include:
- European Patent Office (EPO) provides esp@cenet to access a network of Europe’s patent databases with access to machine translation of European patents.
- Japan Patent Office (JPO) – with access to machine translations of Japanese patents.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) offers PATENTSCOPE with a full-text search of published international patent applications and machine translations for some documents, as well as a list of international patent databases.
- Korean Intellectual Property Rights Information Service (KIPRIS)
- State Intellectual Property Office (SIPO) with machine translation of Chinese patents.
- Other International Intellectual Property Offices with online patent databases include Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Israel, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan.
- Search non-patent literature. Inventions can be made public in many non-patent publications. It is recommended that you search journals, books, websites, technical catalogs, conference proceedings, and other print and electronic publications.
To review your search, you can hire a registered patent attorney to assist. A preliminary search will help one better prepare to talk about their invention and other related inventions with a professional patent attorney. In addition, the attorney will not spend too much time or money on patenting basics.