Samsung SDI Co., Ltd. (Yongin-si, KR)
Examples of embodiments include a control module for the system or module for batteries or battery module, or both.
2. Description of the Related Art
Rechargeable or secondary batteries may be recharged and discharged repeatedly using a reversible chemical to electricity conversion. Batteries that are rechargeable and have a low capacity are able to provide power to small electronic devices like cellular phones and notebook computers as well as camcorders and camcorders. Batteries with high capacity can be utilized as power sources for hybrid vehicles or other similar applications.
In general, rechargeable batteries could comprise an electrode assembly that includes a positive electrode as well as a negative electrode and a separator that is interposed between the negative and positive electrodes, a case for accommodating the electrode assembly,and an electrode terminal that is electrically connected to the electrode assembly. To allow charging and discharging of the battery the electrolyte solution may be in the container. This allows for the electrochemical reaction that occurs between the positive electrode and the negative electrode. The shape of the case, e.g., cylindrical or rectangular, could be changed according to the battery’s intended purpose. Lithium-ion (or lithium polymer) batteries, well-known for their use in laptops and consumer electronics can be used extensively in electric vehicles.
A battery module can comprise a variety of rechargeable batteries that are connected in series or parallel in order to generate an energy density that is high. This is advantageous in driving hybrid vehicles and motoring. The battery module can be constructed by connecting the electrodes of the plurality cell units in line with a specific power level and to create rechargeable batteries that are high-power such as those for electric vehicles. A number of such battery modules can be electrically and mechanically integrated. They may also include a thermal management system or a BMS as well as a battery management software (BMS). These systems are linked to one or more electric consumers to form an entire battery system.
To meet the power requirements of many electrical consumers, a constant exchange of data between the battery system and the controllers of electrical consumer may be necessary. This information may include the current state of charge (SoC) as well as the potential electrical performance, charging capabilities, internal resistance, current, or predicted excess power or power requirements. This information is processed by a battery management (BMS), battery manager (BSM) or a battery management unit (BMU). The BMS/BSM/BMU could communicate with the controllers of various electrical consumers using a communication bus, e.g., a SPI or CAN interface. The BMS/BSM/BMU could also communicate witheach of the submodules for batteries, e.g. by using the cell supervisor circuit (CSC) of each submodule of the battery. Thus, the CSC can be connected to a cell connector and a sensing unit (CCU) that connects the cells in the battery of the battery submodule. Forexample, the BMS/BSM/BMU may be provided for managing the battery pack, e.g., by protecting the battery from operating outside its safe operating area, monitoring its state, calculating secondary data, reporting that data, controlling its environment,authenticating it and/or balancing it.
A battery housing is an enclosure that seals the battery system against environmental impacts. It shields the battery from damaging substances, fire, and electric arcing. In the event of a battery failure. The battery systems may be assembled as a whole within their surroundings. the cells, electricinterconnectors, and the electronics, may be situated inside the battery housing. Therefore, replacement or analysis of the system components, such as for example, a battery cell or electronics, might require removal of the housing.
Reverse engineering is an approach to study the technology used in battery systems. In addition, the hardware or the software that runs the battery system could be manipulated in order to alter the operational state of thebattery system, e.g. or in order to increase the performance and/or to circumvent security safeguards of the battery system. For example, manipulation may decrease the lifetime of the battery system, and the battery might be unable to sustain energy and power more quickly comparedto normal use. It could be difficult to identify modifications when the previous version is restored back to.
Embodiments are directed at an electronic controller that controls batteries that comprise a plurality of battery cells within a housing. The controller can include an control module that can perform at least one control function for at least one of battery cells as well as an access detection circuit including an element that detects light inside the housing. A circuit for access detection could be utilized to create an access detection signal whenever the intensity of the light in the housing exceeds a predetermined threshold. The controller can change the state of the control module in response to this signal of access detection.
The controller can further alter at least one of a hardware state and an operating state of the control module in response alert for access.
The controller can store the access detection signal within its memory.
When an access detection signal is received, at the very least, one of the functions of the control module can be deactivated.
The control function of the control module can be enabled by an original equipment manufacturer.
The light sensitive element may be to output the light signal in response to a light incident the light sensitive element inside the housing.
The controller can also incorporate an element that detects the light signal, in order to determine whether the light intensity inside the housing is more than the predetermined threshold based on the light signal and then send the access detection signal when the light intensity within the housing is greater than the threshold set.
The controller could also include an element to set the state of the system to take in the access detection signal and to change the state of the control module according to the access detection signal received.
The controller may further include a power input to receive an operating voltage of the controller and to provide the operating voltage to the control module. The state setting element is comprised of a switching element that is connected to both the power input and to the control module. Its purpose is to make the switching element non-conductive once an access detection signal triggers it.
An access detection circuit might include at most one fuse. This fuse is non-conductive in the event that the amount of light that is reflected from the housing exceeds a predetermined threshold.
The sensitive part of the circuit for access detection could be used to provide power to set at most one fuse as non-conductive when the intensity of light in the housing is higher than the threshold that is set.
The light-sensitive element can consist of at minimum one of a light dependent resistor and a photo diode and a photovoltaic device.
Embodiments are directed towards a battery system. The battery system may include an element of a battery that comprises several battery cells housed in a container; and a controller that controls the battery module. The controller could comprise an control module that is able to perform at least one control function with respect to at least one of the battery cells; and an access detection circuit that incorporates a light sensitive element within the housing. The access detection circuit may be utilized to create an access detection signal whenever the intensity of the light inside the housing exceeds a certain threshold.
The controller might modify the state of the control module in response to the signal for access detection.
The embodiments are related to the operation of the battery module, which includes the controller as well as multiple battery cells in the housing. The method can consist of: performing at a minimum one control function in relation to at least one of theplurality of battery cells through the controller, detecting a certain light intensity in the housing by an access detection circuit in the controller; generating an access detection signal from the circuit for access detection whenever the intensity of the light in the housing is greater than a predetermined threshold; and changing the state of the controller in response to an access detection signal.
This could also comprise the following steps: Deleting at most one controller control feature when an access detection signal is detected, and enabling at least one controller control feature via an original equipment maker.Click here to view the patent on USPTO website.
Get Patents with PatentPC
What is a patent?
A patent is granted by the government to protect an invention patents give the inventor exclusive rights to create, use, sell and promote the invention? society benefits when a new technology is brought to the market. These benefits could be directly realized when people can achieve previously impossible feats, or indirectly, through the opportunities for economic growth which innovation can bring (business growth, jobs).
A lot of pharmaceutical firms and university researchers are seeking patent protection for their research and developments. A patent can cover a physical or abstract product or process or a method or composition of material that are new to the field. In order to be granted protection under a patent, an invention must be innovative, novel, and not obvious to other people within the same field.
Patents reward inventors who have commercially successful inventions. They are an incentive to inventors to invent. Patents enable entrepreneurs and inventors to know that there is a good chance they will get a profit on their time, effort, and money invested in the development of technology. They can earn a living through their work.
Businesses that have the capacity to:
Secure the latest products and services;
Increase the value, popularity, and appeal of your products on the market
Make your brand stand out from the rest.
Access technical and business knowledge and information;
Beware of the possibility of using proprietary third-party content, or losing your valuable data, original outputs, or another creative output.
Patents effectively transform the inventor’s knowledge into a marketable asset that opens up new possibilities to create jobs and boost business expansion through licensing or joint ventures.
Investors involved in the development and commercialization of technology may find small businesses with patent protection to be more attractive.
Patenting may lead to new ideas and new inventions. This information can encourage innovation and may qualify for patent protection.
Patents can serve as a deterrent to untrustworthy third parties who profit from the efforts of an invention.
Patent-protected technology revenues that are commercially profitable can be used to finance research and development (R&D) that can increase the chance for better technology in the future.
Intellectual ownership of property can be used to convince lenders and investors that there are legitimate opportunities to market your product. One patent that is powerful could open the door for numerous financing options. You can use patents and other IP assets as collateral or security for financing. Investors are also able to view your patent assets to increase their company valuation. Forbes and others have noted that each patent can increase anywhere from $500,000 to one million dollars to your company’s valuation.
A well-crafted business plan is essential for new businesses. It should be built on IP and show how your product/service stands out. Additionally, investors will be impressed when you demonstrate that your IP rights are secure or are in the process of becoming secure and that they are in line with your business strategy.
It is vital to protect an invention before applying for patent protection. Public disclosure of an invention prior to filing is often detrimental to its novelty and render it unpatentable. Thus, prior filing disclosures (e.g., for test-marketing, investors, or other business partners) should only be made upon signing a confidentiality contract.
There are many types of patents. Understanding the different types of patents is vital for protecting your invention. Utility patents cover inventions and processes that are new. Design patents cover ornamental designs. Utility patents are the best because they shield the proprietor from copycats and other competitors. Most often, utility patents are issued to modify or improve existing inventions. Patents issued under utility can be used to enhance or alter existing inventions. A process patent will be a way to describe the actions or methods of performing a specific act. A chemical composition will include an amalgamation of components.
How long will a patent last? Although utility patents last for 20 years from the date of their initial filing, they are able to be extended by delay at the Patent Office.
Are you thinking of the patentability of your ideas? Patents are only granted to the first-to-file applicants which is why you must file as quickly as possible. Call PatentPC today to file your patent application filed!
Patent searches are essential when you’re drafting the patent application. This will enable you to discover different ideas and provide insights into the potential of them. This can help you limit the extent of your idea. It is also possible to find out about the current technological advancements in the field you’re inventing. You’ll have a better idea of what your invention should be, and you’ll be better prepared for writing your patent application.
How to Search for Patents
The first step to get your patent is to do the patent search. You can do a google patent search or do a USPTO search. Patent-pending is the term for the product covered by the patent application. You can search the public pair to locate the patent application. After the patent office approves your application, you will be able to do an online search for a patent number and find the patent issued. Your product will now be patentable. Alongside the USPTO search engine, you can use other search engines like espacenet, as detailed below. For assistance, consult an attorney who specializes in patents. Patents in the United States are granted by the US trademark and patent office as well as the United States patent office. This office also reviews trademark applications.
Are you interested in similar patents? These are the steps:
1. Create a list of terms to describe your invention based upon its intended purpose, composition and application.
Write down a concise detailed description of the invention. Don’t use generic terms like “device”, “process,” or “system”. Instead, look for synonyms for the terms you initially chose. Next, take note of important technical terms and key words.
To help you find terms and keywords, you can use the questions below.
- What is the objective of the invention? Is it a utilitarian device or an ornamental design?
- Does the invention consist of a method of creating something or performing some function? Are you referring to a product?
- What is the structure of the invention? What is the physical composition?
- What is the purpose of this invention?
- What are the technical terms and keywords that describe the essence of an invention? A technical dictionary will help you identify the correct words.
2. These terms let you look up relevant Cooperative Patent Classifications using the Classification Search Tool. To determine the best classification for your invention, scan the class scheme of the classification (class schedules). If you don’t see any results from the Classification Text Search, you may want to consider replacing the words to describe your invention with synonyms.
3. Examine the CPC Classification Definition for confirmation of the CPC classification you’ve found. The hyperlink to the CPC classification definition is provided in the event that the title of the classification has a blue box that includes “D” to the left. CPC classification definitions will aid you in determining the classification’s scope , so you can pick the one that is the most appropriate. In addition they can provide research tips and other suggestions which could be helpful for further investigation.
4. The Patents Full-Text Database and the Image Database allow you to retrieve patent documents that include the CPC classification. By focusing on the abstracts and illustrations you can narrow your search to the most relevant patent publications.
5. This list of patent publication is the best to examine for similarities to your idea. Be sure to read the specification and claims. It is possible to find additional patents through contacting the patent examiner and applicant.
6. Search for patent applications that have been published using the CPC classification you selected in Step 3 from the Applications Full-Text and Image Database. You may also employ the same search strategy that you utilized in Step 4 to narrow down your results to just the most relevant patents by reading the abstracts and drawings on each page. After that, take a close look at the published patent applications and pay particular attention to the claims and the additional drawings.
7. Locate additional US patent publications using keyword search in AppFT or PatFT databases, classification searching of non-U.S. patents per below, and searching for non-patent patent disclosures in the literature of inventions using web search engines. Here are some examples:
- Add keywords to your search. Keyword searches may turn up documents that are not well-categorized or have missed classifications during Step 2. For example, US patent examiners often supplement their classification searches with keyword searches. Think about the use of technical engineering terminology rather than everyday words.
- Search for foreign patents using the CPC classification. Then, re-run the search using international patent office search engines such as Espacenet, the European Patent Office’s worldwide patent publication database of over 130 million patent publications. Other national databases include:
- European Patent Office (EPO) provides esp@cenet to access a network of Europe’s patent databases with access to machine translation of European patents.
- Japan Patent Office (JPO) – with access to machine translations of Japanese patents.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) offers PATENTSCOPE with a full-text search of published international patent applications and machine translations for some documents, as well as a list of international patent databases.
- Korean Intellectual Property Rights Information Service (KIPRIS)
- State Intellectual Property Office (SIPO) with machine translation of Chinese patents.
- Other International Intellectual Property Offices with online patent databases include Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Israel, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan.
- Search non-patent literature. Inventions can be made public in many non-patent publications. It is recommended that you search journals, books, websites, technical catalogs, conference proceedings, and other print and electronic publications.
To review your search, you can hire a registered patent attorney to assist. A preliminary search will help one better prepare to talk about their invention and other related inventions with a professional patent attorney. In addition, the attorney will not spend too much time or money on patenting basics.